Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Week #9 Thing #22

I checked out the World ebook fair site and some of the sites within including the sheet music one. I also went to the "Best Places to get Free Books" I don't know that I will do too much with it. Some study guides looked interesting, but they actually charge for them. Also, as far as trading books - just not so interested.

As I think I mentioned previously my husband has associations with college text books and boy, we had better be savvy to the fact that our students are looking at books a whole new way.

I've used LibriVox before and think the Gutenberg project is great. I have considered reading some books for them, as I have a background in presentation and think that would be a really neat thing to do. However, I won't consider it until I have better sound equipment - I won't subject someone to me reading inside a bell jar!

Here's a funny LibriVox story. My husband had to travel and at the last minute I offered to download a book for him to listen to on my ipod shuffle. I picked "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" and meticulously set up a newly labeled folder in my itunes. I carefully downloaded each of the many, many chapters, labeling each in a uniform fashion as the time to go to the airport neared. Finally I got to the last chapter and received the message ... "sorry, not available." Hey, but it was free :-). So there's how we can guarantee our kids still need physical books. Just make sure they leave the last chapter out of every ebook!

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

Sneaky and underhanded - I love it!! I find that with audio books, the reader makes a huge difference in whether I connect or not. I also, as you mentioned with the podcasts, tend to multitask and suddenly realized I missed several pages. I have a very short commute so audio books don't really do it for me but it is really nice to have things like LibriVox and Project Guttenberg.

Ann