Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Week #6 Thing #15

I've really enjoyed opening my mind to the approaching inevitability of Library 2.0. I read a number of the suggested readings listed in the Discovery Resources and 5 perspectives.

I thought Rick Anderson's "Away From Icebergs" was simple and clear. It probably blew the minds of people not willing to accept change. The idea of looking again at our collection and the "come to us" library is radical. I like that he knows that we can't train everyone, but can make the programs more accessible, so we don't need to. I know that as far as training, I have it made because I have the kids for a set time that can be used for training. Also the library will have a dedicated projector, document camera and laptop in the fall and I look forward to challenging myself to confidently forge forward.

I feel pretty good about our districts decision to move to Follett Destiny this upcoming year. When I read Michael Stephen's "Into A New World of Librarianship" about bringing the library to the user I think Destiny will allow the students access anywhere. Now we just need to overcome those hardware and network problems that we know will exist.

I liked Wendy Schultz' "To a Temporary Place and Time." It was a little Science Fiction-y and like the Matrix. Still I think it's wise to think outside the box. Due to my husband's association with the university's bookstore we have ample opportunity to discuss the changes to our use of books in a variety of ways. If we think the role of libraries is changing, think about text books and college students. It's important that we consider all possibilities in the education of our students and work to come up with the best solutions.

Web 2.0 means rethinking the school library. One physical thing that has been going through my brain for new libraries is configuring computer work stations in such a way as to make it easy for the single librarian to monitor student work. In a public library the work stations are set up for privacy, it should be the opposite for school libraries, and I don't care that the students don't have a sense of privacy. I'm more concerned that the students have ready access and that one staff member can easily monitor them while accomplishing other work. Currently the work stations in my library are circled around a central column. Their initial intent really to be used as an internal OPAC System. The only way to monitor internet computer use is to circle around like a coyote. Not too helpful.

I think the generation of the "Hush Library!" is over. If we want to move forward as librarians it will take more than just posting a sign that says "& Media Center" under our "Library" sign.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I think that one of the things that is interesting in the area of professional development is that teachers/Educators seem to come in 3 groups...
Those who understand that change isn't coming - its here - and they seek out opportunities to learn about it.
Those who will do it if you bring the training to them
And those who still have to be convinced that change is necessary. Interestingly this group includes not just experienced educators but some of our newest as well who are coming out of very traditional training programs. We are on that cusp of new teachers who didn't grow up with Web 2.0 they just missed it.

Ann