Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Week #6 Thing #13

I explored the resources and set up my own del.icio.us account. I had tried to do this many months ago after a ProDev that we had. Unfortunately it was quite glitchy and the tags didn't work. Fortunately, it seems to allow two on an email account - I set up a new one and deleted the glitchy one, so far so good.

The hilarious thing is that after I set it up I kept closing it and going up to my Bookmarks on the top of my tool bar to open the stuff I'd just put in del.icio.us! I sounded like Homer Simpson, "D'oh!" It's like locking your keys in the car; you see it happening in slow motion, but just can't help yourself! Old dog and new tricks I guess!

I can see myself using this quite a lot, however I think I'm pretty lazy on Tags and think I'll save stuff quickly and tag it later. I bet that will be a mistake. I do think that del.icio.us looks kind of "1.0" to use the popular term. I think that they could shine up the interface to bring it to the "2.0" realm. I'm glad I had the ProDev in addition to the Web 2.0 to get a real feel for it's use.

Is it just me? In the Discovery Resources the link "Libraries that del.icio.us:" takes me to a site that's primarily in German. The link at the bottom of the Discovery Resources: "Recommendations Site" is in French and English. Since my daughter just returned from Spain and is speaking to me half in English and half in Spanish (which I do not speak) I'm thinking either I need my head examined or a bulk pack of Rosetta Stone programs...

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

I will check the links and see what happened there :-)

It took me a while to get with the tagging thing on Del.icio.us. Now that I have it as a sidebar for Firefox, I have completely stopped bookmarking things on my computer. I love being able to search the Del.icio.us site from the sidebar without having to go back and forth. It took me a while though.

Ann