Sunday, June 15, 2008

Week #4 Thing #9

Still struggling with the way to make RSS feeds valuable for me.

*** What I'd like it to work for, but it doesn't seem to: The sites I check routinely are password protected - anything new I wonder each day? This includes email and the private Facebook account that only my daughter and I use that she drops pictures from Spain in. Obviously these don't seem to be available and probably for obvious reasons. An RSS feed does not consolidate that for me.

*** What works the best: Obviously some sites are really good about set up. The Newsminer is good. I like the sites that give you a basic blue headline and some detail and a brief description, then you can go to the article. Some like the Shifted Librarian which I like seems to just dump the entire thing in there in whatever format. Not as good for scanning.

*** What I'd like to work, we'll see: I've set up my Blogger and my Wiki. What I really need to know is if someone posts a comment (in the former) or discussion (in the latter.) My Wiki is supposed to send an RSS for discussion. I did a test discussion, nothing yet. We'll see if it checks it. When I set up Blogger it showed me all the messages I posted, but didn't even indicate if there were comments to the messages. Anyone have an idea of how to set that up? I'm I missing a "switch" here in Blogger? I know what I post, I need to know if there are comments.

*** What doesn't work as well: I currently have a bookmark for an online English language Spanish "newspaper" so that I can keep up with the news where my daughter is living. I have it bookmarked to the Basque Country news and when I click on it it takes me directly there. I got excited because there was that little RSS feed symbol. But when I added it what I get is a nice list - great format - of the news of all of Spain. I don't know all the place names so it's really better just to check the bookmarked location. The feed is too general.

I did run through the various search tools. Reminded me a bit of Google. Lots of stuff to weed through. A search of "library" on one RSS feed search site got me a Blog about on how someone on Top Chef made food that tasted like "library" paste - okay, so that one caught my attention since I like Top Chef. And of course like any tech resource I got a few "site no longer available" and "insufficient rights" hits.

Anyway. I've got it up and running and I think the best bet is to try to consciously look for good RSS sites as I go. I'm on the computer regularly, but not really looking at feeds. Maybe we could have one Inservice where we can each bring one concise site with good RSS feed that deals only with the library, public schools, and technology as it pertains to the library.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I like the idea of having time to share good sites for RSS Feeds. I really like Terri Lesesne blog. She always has good reviews of up and coming books. http://professornana.livejournal.com/

I haven't figured out how to get notices on comments left on you blog. I will look and see if I can find anything for you.

Ann

Staci Cox said...

I too would like to somehow be notified when new comments are added - either to my blog or someone else's where I've made comments. I regularly follow a bulletin board style forum and automatically get emails when new posts are added to threads I'm following... it's very helpful! I haven't stumbled across this feature in Blogger yet - if it exists?

I did notice that when you are logged into your Blogger account you can go to your Dashboard and click on "Posts" next to your blog's name. It will give you a nice list of all your posts with the number of comments under each one. Might save a little time for you?